With each new year, comes new trends, and with them new opportunities. While you don’t have to jump on the bandwagon of every trend that passes by, it is important to be aware of what is happening in the market.
One of the most important things to remember about owing and running a business is that nothing remains the same, and in order to survive, you need to adapt. That means paying close attention to trends that may affect how you run your business, such as new technology, popular and up-and-coming marketing venues, or new competitors. With this in mind, here are some trends you can expect to see in 2017 affecting small and self-employed businesses:
- Rise of the Gig Economy | The gig economy has brought forth a whole new type of self-employed worker, allowing people to work where, when, and how they want. In 2017, expect opportunities in the gig economy to continue to grow as current connective businesses expand, new businesses and platforms are created, and new technologies are launched to connect self-employed freelancers to businesses and consumers alike.
- Expansion of the Internet of Things and Technology | The various devices, apps, and technology that make up the Internet of Things (IoT) have allowed self-employment to flourish by streamlining much of the work necessary to run a business. As new technology continues to roll out, it will become easier to organize and complete tasks such as content marketing, CRM, invoicing, and a number of other business functions.
- New Google Rules | Google and other search engines are constantly updating their ranking rules, making it a challenge for marketers to keep up with SEO best practices. Where once the rules focused on keywords and alt tags, Google more and more is ranking pages based on user experience, placing a higher value on relevant, quality content and layouts rather than keyword counts.
- Increased e-commerce competition | Between sites like Etsy, Amazon, Ebay and the many plug and play website templates available, e-commerce has grown significantly, allowing thousands of individuals to follow their passions and launch their own businesses. As self-employment grows, e-commerce will become more competitive, making it all the more important that businesses connect with and understand their customers.
- Emphasis on Going Green | The importance of environmentally friendly practices is becoming increasingly popular among younger generations. In order to capitalize on this trend, self-employed business owners should pay close attention to trends such as locally-sourced supplies, up-cycling, and “green” business practices.
Make 2017 the year of opportunity and success for your business. By staying ahead of trends, you will open new doors and continue to provide the best value possible to your customers.